News
Polish Government Warns of Rising Disinformation After Rail Explosion Near Ukraine Aid Route
Poland’s Ministry of Digitalisation has issued a warning over a surge in disinformation following an explosion on a railway line near the village of Mika, urging the public to verify online reports as authorities investigate what senior officials describe as an act of sabotage linked to Russian intelligence.
The blast, which occurred on Sunday night, damaged part of a key rail route used to deliver humanitarian aid into Ukraine. Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Tuesday that two Ukrainian citizens, known to Polish security services and believed to be working for Russia, are suspected of carrying out the attack. “All facts point to a Russian trace,” he said, adding that investigators were continuing to assess evidence.
Despite those early findings, a wave of misleading narratives has spread quickly across social media. An analysis by Res Futura Data House, a European research and analytics group, reviewed thousands of online comments and found that 42 percent of posts blamed Ukrainians for the explosion. Only 24 percent of users attributed responsibility to Russia, while 19 percent suggested Polish state-linked actors were behind the incident.
Res Futura said many comments relied on unverified assumptions tied to unrelated events, such as previous fires or allegations involving Ukrainians near strategic sites. The group noted that many of the claims framed the incident as either retaliation or an attempt to push Poland toward direct conflict with Moscow.
Presenting the latest findings to parliament, Tusk warned that anti-Ukrainian sentiment was becoming easier to provoke due to public fatigue linked to the presence of large numbers of refugees. He said such tensions serve Russian objectives by weakening support for Ukraine and straining ties within the EU. “From the point of view of Russian interests, the awakening of radically anti-Ukrainian emotions… has a double value for Russian services,” he said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski echoed the warning, criticising political figures who amplify claims blaming Ukraine. He said Russia invests heavily in disinformation campaigns aimed at turning public opinion against Ukraine, the EU and refugees. “Those who blame Ukraine for Russia’s actions in Poland are political saboteurs,” he wrote on X.
Despite the government’s appeals, anti-Ukrainian narratives have continued to surface among public figures. Far-right politicians, including members of the Polish Crown Confederation and Confederation party, have publicly suggested that Ukrainian citizens were behind the sabotage, without offering evidence. Former Prime Minister Leszek Miller also speculated that Ukrainians are often responsible for similar incidents, though he provided no examples.
The Ministry of Digitalisation said disinformation campaigns had been active since the night of the explosion and appear designed to shift responsibility away from Russia and undermine trust in Polish security institutions. It urged the public to rely on verified sources, warning that false narratives threaten social cohesion at a time of heightened geopolitical tension.
News
EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.
Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.
“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”
His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.
Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”
Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”
Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.
The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.
China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.
France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.
Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”
News
US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions
News
US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad
-
Entertainment2 years agoMeta Acquires Tilda Swinton VR Doc ‘Impulse: Playing With Reality’
-
Sports2 years agoChina’s Historic Olympic Victory Sparks National Pride Amid Controversy
-
Business2 years agoSaudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business2 years agoRecent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Home Improvement1 year agoEffective Drain Cleaning: A Key to a Healthy Plumbing System
-
Politics2 years agoWho was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Sports2 years agoKeely Hodgkinson Wins Britain’s First Athletics Gold at Paris Olympics in 800m
-
Business2 years agoCarrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
