News
80th Anniversary of Thiaroye Massacre Revives Calls for Justice and Historical Clarity
As Senegal marks the 80th anniversary of the Thiaroye massacre, the tragic events of December 1, 1944, are back in focus, highlighting long-standing tensions between Senegal and its former colonial power, France. Historians estimate that hundreds of West African riflemen, soldiers in the French Army during World War II, were killed by French troops after demanding unpaid wages.
Among those seeking answers is 86-year-old Biram Senghor, who regularly visits the anonymous graves in a military cemetery in Thiaroye, near Dakar, to honor his father, M’Bap Senghor, one of the soldiers killed that day. “I have been fighting to get answers for over 80 years,” Senghor said.
The victims were part of the Tirailleurs Sénégalais, a corps of colonial infantry that fought in both World Wars. The massacre followed disputes over unpaid wages, with unarmed African soldiers reportedly shot dead by French troops. Official French military reports initially minimized the death toll, citing 35 or 70 deaths, and labeled the killings as a response to a “mutiny.” However, many historians believe the number of victims was likely in the hundreds.
Macron Acknowledges the Massacre
French President Emmanuel Macron officially recognized the events of Thiaroye as a massacre in a letter to Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye. Macron acknowledged the “chain of events” that led to the killings, though he stopped short of specifying the number of victims.
Historians, including Martin Mourre, author of Thiaroye 1944, History and Memory of a Colonial Massacre, dispute claims of a mutiny, pointing to the absence of weapons among the riflemen and no injuries reported among French soldiers. “What happened on December 1st was the execution of unarmed soldiers,” Mourre asserted.
Despite Macron’s acknowledgment, transparency remains limited. While French President François Hollande transferred some archival materials to Senegal in 2014, key documents—such as the location of mass graves and the number of soldiers present—remain unavailable.
Senegal Takes Control of the Narrative
Under President Faye, Senegal is prioritizing the Thiaroye massacre in its national narrative. Major commemorations will take place from December 1, 2024, to April 2025, including public events and social media campaigns aimed at educating younger generations.
“The goal is to make Thiaroye part of Senegal’s national story,” said Babacar Ndiaye, a political analyst with the Wathi think tank.
The anniversary coincides with a broader decline in French influence in West Africa, as nations like Mali, Niger, and Burkina Faso distance themselves from Paris. Senegal’s president has also hinted at reevaluating the presence of French troops in the country, reflecting a growing sentiment of reclaiming sovereignty.
As commemorations unfold, Senegal’s efforts to shed light on the massacre signal a renewed commitment to historical justice and a redefinition of its post-colonial identity.
News
Europe Forms ‘Coalition of the Willing’ to Support Ukraine Amid Uncertainty Over U.S. Role
European leaders have officially launched the “Coalition of the Willing,” a multinational effort led by the United Kingdom and France to support Ukraine in its ongoing war with Russia. The coalition, formed in response to shifting global diplomacy and concerns over Russia’s expansionist agenda, aims to ensure Ukraine’s sovereignty and prevent further escalation in the region.
A Response to Trump-Putin Negotiations
The formation of the coalition gained urgency following a surprise phone call between former U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin on February 12. The call, which took place without prior consultation with European allies, raised alarms across the continent, prompting European leaders to take a more proactive role in shaping the future of the conflict.
Since then, multiple high-level summits have been held, with French President Emmanuel Macron and UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer spearheading the initiative. “Our goal is clear: to secure peace,” Macron stated. “To do this, we must put Ukraine in the best possible position to negotiate and ensure a lasting peace for all Europeans.”
Who Is Part of the Coalition?
The coalition has grown rapidly, now including 33 delegations from across Europe and beyond. Leaders from Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Sweden, and other EU nations have joined, alongside representatives from NATO and the European Commission. Notably, Turkey, Australia, and Canada have also taken part in discussions.
However, some key countries remain absent. Austria and Malta have declined participation due to their neutral status, while Hungary and Slovakia, both NATO members, have resisted military support for Ukraine. The United States has not formally joined the coalition, though European leaders remain hopeful that Washington will provide some form of assistance, particularly in intelligence sharing and air defense.
Key Objectives of the Coalition
The coalition has outlined three main areas of focus:
-
Military Support for Ukraine – European nations have pledged continued military aid, including artillery, air defense systems, drones, and training programs to strengthen Ukraine’s armed forces.
-
Deployment of a ‘Reassurance Force’ – A new security force, composed of Western troops, will be stationed in Ukraine at key locations such as cities, ports, and power plants. The goal is to deter Russian aggression rather than engage in frontline combat. France and the UK have already committed soldiers, with Sweden, Denmark, and Belgium considering participation.
-
Strengthening European Defense Capabilities – The European Commission has proposed an €800 billion investment plan to enhance Europe’s defense industry, with Ukraine set to benefit from these funds.
Uncertainty Over U.S. Involvement
While European leaders have made diplomatic efforts to engage the U.S., there is little clarity on whether Washington will actively support the coalition. Trump’s administration has hinted at reducing American troop presence in Europe, raising concerns about long-term transatlantic security commitments.
Despite this, Starmer remains optimistic. “This is a force designed to deter and send a message to Putin that this peace deal will be defended,” he stated.
Next Steps
The coalition is now working to finalize details of the reassurance force, including troop numbers, locations, and operational structures. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has invited military representatives to Kyiv to begin planning, with a follow-up summit expected in the coming weeks.
With Europe taking the lead, the coalition marks a significant shift in the West’s approach to the war, signaling that European nations are prepared to act independently if necessary to safeguard Ukraine’s future.
News
Myanmar Struck by Aftershocks as Earthquake Death Toll Rises
News
Federal Judge Blocks Trump Administration’s Effort to Dismantle Voice of America
-
Business10 months ago
Saudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business10 months ago
Recent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Politics10 months ago
Who was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Business9 months ago
Carrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
-
Business9 months ago
Saudi Arabia: Foreign Direct Investment Rises by 5.6% in Q1
-
Technology10 months ago
Comparing Apple Vision Pro and Meta Quest 3
-
Politics10 months ago
Indonesia and Malaysia Call for Israel’s Compliance with ICJ Ruling on Gaza Offensive
-
Technology10 months ago
Recent Developments in AI Ethics in America