News
Kosovo Accuses Serbia After Explosion Disrupts Key Water and Power Supplies
PRISTINA: Kosovo has heightened security measures and begun emergency repairs after an explosion on Friday damaged a crucial water canal that supplies its two main power plants. The government has labeled the incident a “terrorist act” and accused neighboring Serbia of involvement, further escalating tensions between the two Balkan nations.
The explosion occurred around 7 p.m. near Zubin Potok in northern Kosovo, a region where the Serb minority, aligned with Belgrade, resists recognizing Kosovo’s independence. While the exact cause of the blast remains unclear, the disruption has threatened water supplies and power generation in the area.
Emergency Measures Enacted
Kosovo’s Security Council convened early Saturday for emergency discussions, activating armed forces to safeguard critical infrastructure and prevent further attacks. Security has been tightened at strategic sites, including bridges, transformer stations, antennas, and canals, following recent grenade attacks targeting a police station and municipal building in the Serb-dominated north.
“The Security Council has approved additional measures to strengthen security around critical facilities and services,” it said in a statement.
Workers at the site of the blast have installed temporary tubes to bypass the damaged section of the canal. While power supplies have remained mostly stable, some areas have experienced disruptions in drinking water, officials said.
Accusations and Denials
Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti accused “criminal elements in Serbia” of orchestrating the attack, which he claimed was carried out by an organized group intent on destabilizing essential services. Arben Gjukaj, former CEO of Kosovo’s power utility KEK, said the attackers targeted a location crucial to both water and electricity supplies, warning that the situation was “very critical.”
Serbia’s foreign minister, Marko Djuric, dismissed the allegations as “baseless” in a statement on social media platform X. He suggested, without evidence, that Kosovo’s government could have been involved in the incident.
Tensions Running High
Relations between Kosovo and Serbia have remained strained since Kosovo declared independence in 2008, following a guerrilla war against Serbian rule. Serbia has refused to recognize Kosovo’s statehood, and tensions are especially volatile in the north, where the explosion occurred.
Kosovo Energy Minister Artane Rizvanolli announced that the government was coordinating with Albania’s power company to secure additional electricity, while water trucks were being deployed to affected areas.
As workers raced to repair the damage, Kosovo vowed to protect its infrastructure from further attacks. “We are taking all necessary steps to ensure the safety of our citizens and critical services,” the government said.
The incident underscores the fragile relationship between Kosovo and Serbia and the risks of escalating violence in the region.
News
Europe Forms ‘Coalition of the Willing’ to Support Ukraine Amid Uncertainty Over U.S. Role
European leaders have officially launched the “Coalition of the Willing,” a multinational effort led by the United Kingdom and France to support Ukraine in its ongoing war with Russia. The coalition, formed in response to shifting global diplomacy and concerns over Russia’s expansionist agenda, aims to ensure Ukraine’s sovereignty and prevent further escalation in the region.
A Response to Trump-Putin Negotiations
The formation of the coalition gained urgency following a surprise phone call between former U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin on February 12. The call, which took place without prior consultation with European allies, raised alarms across the continent, prompting European leaders to take a more proactive role in shaping the future of the conflict.
Since then, multiple high-level summits have been held, with French President Emmanuel Macron and UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer spearheading the initiative. “Our goal is clear: to secure peace,” Macron stated. “To do this, we must put Ukraine in the best possible position to negotiate and ensure a lasting peace for all Europeans.”
Who Is Part of the Coalition?
The coalition has grown rapidly, now including 33 delegations from across Europe and beyond. Leaders from Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Sweden, and other EU nations have joined, alongside representatives from NATO and the European Commission. Notably, Turkey, Australia, and Canada have also taken part in discussions.
However, some key countries remain absent. Austria and Malta have declined participation due to their neutral status, while Hungary and Slovakia, both NATO members, have resisted military support for Ukraine. The United States has not formally joined the coalition, though European leaders remain hopeful that Washington will provide some form of assistance, particularly in intelligence sharing and air defense.
Key Objectives of the Coalition
The coalition has outlined three main areas of focus:
-
Military Support for Ukraine – European nations have pledged continued military aid, including artillery, air defense systems, drones, and training programs to strengthen Ukraine’s armed forces.
-
Deployment of a ‘Reassurance Force’ – A new security force, composed of Western troops, will be stationed in Ukraine at key locations such as cities, ports, and power plants. The goal is to deter Russian aggression rather than engage in frontline combat. France and the UK have already committed soldiers, with Sweden, Denmark, and Belgium considering participation.
-
Strengthening European Defense Capabilities – The European Commission has proposed an €800 billion investment plan to enhance Europe’s defense industry, with Ukraine set to benefit from these funds.
Uncertainty Over U.S. Involvement
While European leaders have made diplomatic efforts to engage the U.S., there is little clarity on whether Washington will actively support the coalition. Trump’s administration has hinted at reducing American troop presence in Europe, raising concerns about long-term transatlantic security commitments.
Despite this, Starmer remains optimistic. “This is a force designed to deter and send a message to Putin that this peace deal will be defended,” he stated.
Next Steps
The coalition is now working to finalize details of the reassurance force, including troop numbers, locations, and operational structures. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has invited military representatives to Kyiv to begin planning, with a follow-up summit expected in the coming weeks.
With Europe taking the lead, the coalition marks a significant shift in the West’s approach to the war, signaling that European nations are prepared to act independently if necessary to safeguard Ukraine’s future.
News
Myanmar Struck by Aftershocks as Earthquake Death Toll Rises
News
Federal Judge Blocks Trump Administration’s Effort to Dismantle Voice of America
-
Business10 months ago
Saudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business10 months ago
Recent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Politics10 months ago
Who was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Business9 months ago
Carrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
-
Business9 months ago
Saudi Arabia: Foreign Direct Investment Rises by 5.6% in Q1
-
Technology10 months ago
Comparing Apple Vision Pro and Meta Quest 3
-
Politics10 months ago
Indonesia and Malaysia Call for Israel’s Compliance with ICJ Ruling on Gaza Offensive
-
Technology10 months ago
Recent Developments in AI Ethics in America