News
Rescue Efforts Underway for Up to Nine Trapped in Argentina Hotel Collapse
Emergency crews are racing to locate and rescue up to nine individuals believed to be trapped in the rubble of a collapsed hotel building in Villa Gesell, Argentina. The 10-story Dubrovnik Hotel, situated in the popular coastal town approximately 370 kilometers (230 miles) from Buenos Aires, suddenly collapsed early Tuesday morning, according to municipal authorities.
The collapse has triggered an extensive emergency response as firefighters, paramedics, and police work through debris to reach those feared buried beneath the structure. The local government in Villa Gesell confirmed that ongoing rescue operations involve clearing heavy rubble in hopes of finding survivors.
The Dubrovnik Hotel, which first opened in 1986, has long served tourists visiting the Atlantic coast. However, according to official statements, the building had been undergoing renovations at the time of the incident. Municipal authorities revealed that earlier construction work on the site had been stopped in August due to a lack of necessary permits. The halted work reportedly involved modifications to the structure, though details on the specific renovations have not yet been disclosed.
“The safety of all residents and visitors is our priority, and we are committed to providing all available resources for the rescue efforts,” said a spokesperson for Villa Gesell’s municipal government.
The hotel’s collapse has raised serious questions about building safety and adherence to regulatory requirements within the area. Municipal officials emphasized that they had flagged the Dubrovnik Hotel’s renovation activities previously, but it remains unclear if further inspections or follow-up actions were undertaken.
The scene in Villa Gesell has drawn a heavy emergency response, with first responders working around the clock to move rubble, sometimes by hand, to avoid destabilizing the site further. The local government has not yet released any information regarding the exact number of people inside the hotel at the time of the collapse, though initial estimates suggest there could be up to nine individuals trapped.
CNN has reached out to the hotel’s management for comment, but as of now, no official response has been provided regarding the incident or any safety measures that may have been in place at the time of the collapse.
This incident comes as Argentina’s tourism industry gradually recovers from the impact of the pandemic, with coastal towns like Villa Gesell attracting increasing numbers of visitors. However, the collapse has prompted concerns over infrastructure integrity in the region, especially in older buildings undergoing renovations without appropriate safety oversight.
Emergency workers remain on-site as search and rescue operations continue, hoping to locate and free any individuals still trapped within the rubble.
News
EU Finalizes Response to US Tariffs, Eyes Negotiation Path
The European Union is preparing a counterstrategy in response to the United States’ recent imposition of 20% tariffs on all EU imports, a move that has escalated trade tensions between the two blocs. Despite warnings of a firm and quick response, the EU continues to finalize its countermeasures, aiming to avoid a full-scale trade war while keeping the door open for future negotiations.
The tariffs, announced by the US government on Wednesday, are the latest in a series of trade confrontations, following earlier duties imposed by the Trump administration on steel, aluminium, and cars. The EU, already dealing with the economic fallout of these earlier tariffs, is now faced with an additional 20% duty on all imports, adding complexity to its response.
“We are buying the space we need to negotiate with the Americans and are looking to target our response effectively,” said an EU official on Thursday. The EU’s approach will focus on limiting economic pain for its member states while also taking into account the potential impact on the US if necessary.
To counter the US tariffs, the EU is considering a range of retaliatory measures, including the targeting of US products in a two-phase response. The first set of countermeasures could be implemented by mid-April, with additional tariffs potentially coming into play by the end of the month. These tariffs could extend to key sectors such as cars, pharmaceuticals, steel, and semiconductors. Furthermore, the EU is contemplating using an “anti-coercion” tool adopted in 2023, which could affect US business licenses and intellectual property rights.
“We are not taking any option off the table,” stated a senior EU official. “Any response will be proportionate; we are not in the business of escalating but of solving things.” The EU’s goal is to navigate the situation without provoking further conflict, and it intends to employ these countermeasures as a means to incentivize the US to engage in meaningful negotiations rather than as a punitive measure.
EU Trade Commissioner Maroš Šefčovič is scheduled to speak with US counterparts on Friday via video call in an attempt to keep diplomatic channels open. The EU has emphasized its desire to negotiate from a “fair position” and a “position of strength.” As one senior EU official explained, the ultimate aim is not to punish but to create an environment that encourages negotiation.
The US has long maintained that the EU imposes a blanket 5% tariff on US imports, while EU officials point out that the average tariff the US applies to EU imports is 1.4%, slightly higher than the EU’s 1.2% average on US goods. The EU is keen to negotiate reductions in these tariffs, striving for a balanced and reciprocal agreement.
Negotiations are expected to focus heavily on five sectors that are critical to US interests: cars, aluminium and steel, semiconductors, lumber, and pharmaceuticals. These industries are expected to be the most contentious areas of discussion as both sides seek to resolve the trade impasse.
News
Europe Forms ‘Coalition of the Willing’ to Support Ukraine Amid Uncertainty Over U.S. Role
European leaders have officially launched the “Coalition of the Willing,” a multinational effort led by the United Kingdom and France to support Ukraine in its ongoing war with Russia. The coalition, formed in response to shifting global diplomacy and concerns over Russia’s expansionist agenda, aims to ensure Ukraine’s sovereignty and prevent further escalation in the region.
A Response to Trump-Putin Negotiations
The formation of the coalition gained urgency following a surprise phone call between former U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin on February 12. The call, which took place without prior consultation with European allies, raised alarms across the continent, prompting European leaders to take a more proactive role in shaping the future of the conflict.
Since then, multiple high-level summits have been held, with French President Emmanuel Macron and UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer spearheading the initiative. “Our goal is clear: to secure peace,” Macron stated. “To do this, we must put Ukraine in the best possible position to negotiate and ensure a lasting peace for all Europeans.”
Who Is Part of the Coalition?
The coalition has grown rapidly, now including 33 delegations from across Europe and beyond. Leaders from Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Sweden, and other EU nations have joined, alongside representatives from NATO and the European Commission. Notably, Turkey, Australia, and Canada have also taken part in discussions.
However, some key countries remain absent. Austria and Malta have declined participation due to their neutral status, while Hungary and Slovakia, both NATO members, have resisted military support for Ukraine. The United States has not formally joined the coalition, though European leaders remain hopeful that Washington will provide some form of assistance, particularly in intelligence sharing and air defense.
Key Objectives of the Coalition
The coalition has outlined three main areas of focus:
-
Military Support for Ukraine – European nations have pledged continued military aid, including artillery, air defense systems, drones, and training programs to strengthen Ukraine’s armed forces.
-
Deployment of a ‘Reassurance Force’ – A new security force, composed of Western troops, will be stationed in Ukraine at key locations such as cities, ports, and power plants. The goal is to deter Russian aggression rather than engage in frontline combat. France and the UK have already committed soldiers, with Sweden, Denmark, and Belgium considering participation.
-
Strengthening European Defense Capabilities – The European Commission has proposed an €800 billion investment plan to enhance Europe’s defense industry, with Ukraine set to benefit from these funds.
Uncertainty Over U.S. Involvement
While European leaders have made diplomatic efforts to engage the U.S., there is little clarity on whether Washington will actively support the coalition. Trump’s administration has hinted at reducing American troop presence in Europe, raising concerns about long-term transatlantic security commitments.
Despite this, Starmer remains optimistic. “This is a force designed to deter and send a message to Putin that this peace deal will be defended,” he stated.
Next Steps
The coalition is now working to finalize details of the reassurance force, including troop numbers, locations, and operational structures. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has invited military representatives to Kyiv to begin planning, with a follow-up summit expected in the coming weeks.
With Europe taking the lead, the coalition marks a significant shift in the West’s approach to the war, signaling that European nations are prepared to act independently if necessary to safeguard Ukraine’s future.
News
Myanmar Struck by Aftershocks as Earthquake Death Toll Rises
-
Business10 months ago
Saudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business10 months ago
Recent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Politics10 months ago
Who was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Business9 months ago
Carrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
-
Business9 months ago
Saudi Arabia: Foreign Direct Investment Rises by 5.6% in Q1
-
Technology10 months ago
Comparing Apple Vision Pro and Meta Quest 3
-
Politics10 months ago
Indonesia and Malaysia Call for Israel’s Compliance with ICJ Ruling on Gaza Offensive
-
Technology10 months ago
Recent Developments in AI Ethics in America