Connect with us

News

North Korean Soldiers Seen Training in Russia for Possible Deployment to Ukraine

Published

on

Seoul – North Korean soldiers have been filmed receiving uniforms and equipment at a military training ground in Russia’s far east, suggesting growing cooperation between Moscow and Pyongyang, as reported by South Korea’s National Intelligence Service (NIS). According to NIS, around 1,500 North Korean soldiers have been sent to Russia for military training, potentially preparing for deployment to the frontlines in Ukraine.

The Ukrainian Center for Strategic Communication and Information Security shared a video with CNN, showing a long line of soldiers, believed to be North Korean, queuing for uniforms. Although the poor audio quality made it difficult to confirm, the soldiers were reportedly speaking in Korean. The video provides rare visual evidence of North Korean involvement in the Russia-Ukraine war, confirming concerns raised by Ukrainian and Western officials.

Upon arriving in Russia, the North Korean recruits were asked to complete questionnaires detailing their uniform sizes, including hats, headgear, and shoes. CNN obtained a copy of the form, which featured Russian instructions and Korean size options. This reinforces earlier claims of logistical preparations for the North Korean soldiers’ integration into Russian military operations.

Another video, which has been geolocated to the Sergeevka Training Ground near Russia’s border with China, also surfaced on social media. In the footage, a Russian-speaking individual is heard saying, “we can’t film them,” and later, “there are millions of them here. Here are the new reinforcements. This is just the beginning.” These remarks further fuel speculation that North Korea may be playing an increasingly direct role in Russia’s war efforts.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has repeatedly warned of North Korea’s deepening military alliance with Russia. Speaking at a NATO summit earlier this week, Zelensky emphasized that “thousands” of North Korean soldiers were en route to Russia, describing it as an “urgent” development. “From intelligence that I have, they are preparing 10,000 soldiers, different soldiers, land forces, technical personnel,” Zelensky said, stressing the seriousness of the situation in his conversations with the United States.

See also  US Sanctions Cuban Oil Company Escalate Tensions Amid Deepening Energy Crisis

Reports from South Korean media suggest that North Korea could send up to 12,000 troops in total, though the NIS has not officially confirmed this figure. This would mark the first significant international military intervention by North Korea, a country that, despite having one of the world’s largest standing armies with 1.2 million soldiers, has limited experience in foreign combat.

The apparent deployment of North Korean troops to Russia highlights the increasing military and strategic ties between the two nations. As the conflict in Ukraine drags on, this development could signal a shift in the dynamics of the war, with North Korea becoming a more active player on the global stage.

News

Chinese Humanoid Robot Runs 100 Metres Faster Than Usain Bolt’s World Record

Published

on

A Chinese humanoid robot has stunned spectators at the World Humanoid Robot Games in Beijing after completing the 100 metres in 9.39 seconds, faster than Usain Bolt’s long-standing human world record.

The robot, known as TienKung, was developed by the Beijing Centre for Humanoid Robotics and recorded the time during the competition on Saturday. Bolt set the men’s 100-metre world record of 9.58 seconds at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin.

Organisers described the robot’s performance as a major demonstration of the rapid progress being made in humanoid robotics, particularly in China.

“In one year alone the robots competing have become twice as fast,” the organisers said in a post on X. They noted that the winning time at last year’s event was 21.50 seconds.

The sharp improvement has drawn attention to the speed at which robotics companies are developing machines capable of performing tasks traditionally associated with humans.

The World Humanoid Robot Games are being held at Beijing’s National Speed Skating Oval, known as the “Ice Ribbon”. The second edition has attracted 666 teams and 2,056 robots from 16 countries.

Competitors are taking part in a wide range of events, including athletics, boxing, football, weightlifting and gymnastics.

Videos from the competition have spread across social media, with some clips showing robots struggling to remain upright or falling backwards after completing races. While the footage has attracted plenty of humour from viewers, organisers said the underlying technological progress should not be underestimated.

They said robots had been “slow, ponderous machines” at the inaugural games, with many struggling to finish sprint events. The latest performances, they argued, show how quickly the technology is developing.

See also  Chinese Workers Rescued from Exploitative Conditions at BYD Factory in Brazil

China has placed humanoid robots among its strategic emerging industries, with companies and government officials increasingly focused on advancing artificial intelligence, robotics hardware and automated systems.

The rapid progress has also attracted significant interest from investors. Research from Morgan Stanley has estimated that the global humanoid robotics market could eventually reach $5 trillion by 2050.

The financial services group has also projected that more than one billion humanoid robots could be operating worldwide by that year.

China is expected to account for a substantial share of that growth. Morgan Stanley estimates that around 302.3 million humanoid robots could be in use in China by 2050.

The performance in Beijing adds to growing evidence of how quickly humanoid robots are improving, although their ability to match humans in everyday tasks remains a much larger challenge than setting a sprint time.

Continue Reading

News

Canada Vows Dollar-for-Dollar Response as US Tariffs Deepen Trade Dispute

Published

on

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has accused the United States of imposing new tariffs designed to damage Canada and divide the two countries after trade negotiations collapsed.

“We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they’ve asked,” Carney said in a speech on Saturday, explaining Ottawa’s decision to reject a proposed agreement.

New US tariffs of 50 percent on about $20 billion worth of Canadian goods took effect on Saturday after negotiators failed to reach a deal. Both governments accused the other of making last-minute changes that undermined the negotiations.

Carney said the final US proposals were “unfair” and “uneconomic” and raised doubts about whether Washington could be relied upon to honour an agreement.

Canada has responded by promising to match the new US tariffs “dollar for dollar” in an effort to protect domestic companies and workers.

“Our response will be concentrated in sectors such as steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics,” Carney said.

The latest measures add to existing US tariffs on major Canadian exports, including steel, aluminium, automobiles and lumber. Canadian officials have warned that the broader tariff regime is placing additional pressure on businesses and the country’s economy.

The Office of the United States Trade Representative described the collapse of the negotiations as a “missed opportunity” for Canada. It accused Ottawa of maintaining what it called prolonged retaliation against American products.

According to the US trade representative, Washington had offered Canada favourable treatment compared with other major exporters, but said new Canadian demands and changes to previous commitments disrupted the balance reached during negotiations.

See also  Canada to Match US Tariffs Dollar for Dollar as Trade Talks Collapse

The dispute escalated despite earlier optimism from US President Donald Trump, who had postponed the introduction of the latest tariffs after suggesting that a trade agreement was close.

Trump has repeatedly criticised Canada’s trade policies and has also suggested that the country should become the 51st US state. In a post early Sunday, he argued that Canada wanted the benefits of being part of the United States without actually becoming a state.

Trump’s administration has pursued an aggressive tariff policy since returning to office in January 2025, arguing that higher import duties will support American manufacturing and create domestic jobs.

The policy has drawn criticism from businesses and economists, who warn that tariffs can increase costs for consumers, disrupt supply chains and make companies more cautious about investment.

The latest confrontation leaves the two neighbours facing a prolonged period of uncertainty, with businesses on both sides preparing for higher trade costs and possible further retaliatory measures.

Continue Reading

News

India Launches Search for 22 Crew Members After Cargo Ship Sinks in Bay of Bengal

Published

on

India has launched a major search and rescue operation in the Bay of Bengal after a cargo ship sank off the country’s eastern coast, leaving 22 crew members missing.

The Indian Coast Guard said the Panama-flagged MV Ocean Winner sent a distress alert on Saturday while sailing southeast of Paradip port in Odisha. Contact with the vessel was later lost, prompting authorities to begin an emergency response.

There were 24 people aboard the ship, including 20 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi national, according to the Coast Guard.

Two crew members have been rescued after being found in life rafts. They were taken for medical treatment while authorities worked to establish their identities and positions aboard the vessel.

The Coast Guard has deployed three ships to conduct surface searches for the remaining crew members. The operation is being coordinated with other agencies as authorities attempt to locate survivors in the surrounding waters.

India’s Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal, said the vessel had been carrying iron ore from Paradip to China when it sank.

“All agencies are coordinating closely and actively doing search and rescue efforts,” Sonowal said in a post on X. He confirmed that two survivors had been rescued and were receiving medical care.

“My prayers for the safety of the remaining crew,” he added.

The circumstances that led to the ship sinking remain unclear. Officials have not yet provided details about weather conditions, mechanical problems or any other factors that may have contributed to the incident.

The Bay of Bengal is an important shipping route linking ports in India and other Asian countries. Paradip is one of India’s major ports and handles large volumes of bulk commodities, including iron ore and other raw materials.

See also  EU Ministers Voice Alarm Over Democratic Backsliding in Georgia Amid Strained Accession Talks

The Coast Guard’s search involves vessels scanning the sea around the area where communication with the cargo ship was lost. Rescue teams are expected to continue searching for signs of life and additional life rafts.

The two rescued crew members could provide important information about what happened aboard the vessel before it went down. Authorities are expected to gather further details once their condition allows them to speak with investigators.

The incident has prompted concern among the families and colleagues of the missing crew members as the search continues. Indian authorities have not indicated how long the operation will continue, but rescue efforts remain focused on locating the 22 people still unaccounted for.

Continue Reading

Trending