News
Manhunt Underway After Stabbing Attack Outside Bielefeld Bar Leaves Several Injured
Authorities in the German city of Bielefeld have launched a manhunt following a violent stabbing attack in the early hours of Sunday morning that left at least five people injured, three of them seriously.
The incident occurred around 4:20 a.m. outside a bar in the city centre, where a previously unidentified man reportedly attacked a group of people with a sharp object. According to police, the suspect used both a knife and a cane sword to assault his victims.
Witnesses said the attacker struck indiscriminately before some bar patrons intervened and attempted to subdue him. During the altercation, they managed to inflict facial injuries on the assailant. Despite the struggle, the suspect managed to flee the scene on foot, leaving behind a rucksack that has since become central to the investigation.
Police have confirmed that forensic teams recovered a walking stick with a concealed blade, believed to be one of the weapons used in the attack. Inside the abandoned rucksack, investigators reportedly found additional weapons, a bottle containing a flammable liquid, and a residence permit issued to a Syrian national. The attack is currently being treated as a premeditated act of violence.
The case is being handled by a homicide unit codenamed “Kurfürst,” led by First Chief Inspector Markus Mertens. Police are warning the public that the suspect is likely still armed and dangerous. He is described as approximately 1.70 metres tall and was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, dark jacket, and a cap. Due to the injuries sustained during the incident, he may have visible wounds to his face.
The injured victims are currently receiving treatment at local hospitals. Authorities have not released further details about their conditions but confirmed that three remain in serious condition.
Bielefeld police have appealed to the public for assistance and are urging anyone with information to use the force’s online tip portal. They also advise residents not to approach the suspect if spotted and to immediately contact law enforcement.
As the investigation continues, police presence remains high in the area, and the motive behind the attack is still under examination.
News
EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.
Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.
“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”
His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.
Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”
Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”
Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.
The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.
China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.
France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.
Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”
News
US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions
News
US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad
-
Entertainment2 years agoMeta Acquires Tilda Swinton VR Doc ‘Impulse: Playing With Reality’
-
Sports2 years agoChina’s Historic Olympic Victory Sparks National Pride Amid Controversy
-
Business2 years agoSaudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business2 years agoRecent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Home Improvement1 year agoEffective Drain Cleaning: A Key to a Healthy Plumbing System
-
Politics2 years agoWho was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Sports2 years agoKeely Hodgkinson Wins Britain’s First Athletics Gold at Paris Olympics in 800m
-
Business2 years agoCarrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
