Connect with us

News

Germany Blames Russia for Signal Phishing Campaign Targeting Lawmakers

Published

on

Germany has accused Russia of being behind a large-scale phishing campaign targeting lawmakers, senior government officials and other prominent figures through the encrypted messaging app Signal.

German and foreign security agencies have issued fresh warnings after discovering a sophisticated operation believed to have compromised hundreds of accounts. The campaign is thought to be the work of a state-backed cyber actor, with Berlin pointing to Moscow as the likely source.

“The federal government is assuming that the phishing campaign targeting the Signal messaging service was presumably run from Russia,” a German government source told AFP.

According to officials, the attackers used fraudulent messages disguised as communications from Signal’s support team. Recipients were prompted to enter a PIN, click on a malicious link or scan a QR code. Once access was granted, hackers could take control of the account, gaining entry to private messages, group chats, photos and shared files.

Cybersecurity experts warn that compromised accounts can also be used to impersonate victims, allowing attackers to spread misinformation or target additional contacts.

Although the government has not released an official figure, German media reports suggest that at least 300 accounts belonging to political figures may have been affected. Authorities expect that number to rise as more cases come to light.

“The number of unreported cases will continue to rise in the coming days,” said Konstantin von Notz, deputy chair of Germany’s parliamentary intelligence oversight committee. “At present, no one can say with any certainty whether the integrity of MPs’ communications is still guaranteed.”

The targets extended beyond politicians. Civil servants, diplomats, military personnel and journalists were also reportedly affected, highlighting the broad scope of the campaign.

See also  Violence Escalates in Jenin Refugee Camp as Palestinian Authority Clashes with Militants

Signal gained popularity among officials and privacy-conscious users after concerns emerged over WhatsApp’s data-sharing policies with its parent company, Meta. Its reputation for strong encryption made it a preferred platform for sensitive communications.

The incident has prompted urgent discussions in the Bundestag over digital security protocols. While some lawmakers have called for tighter controls, Bundestag Vice-President Andrea Lindholz has rejected proposals for a ban on Signal, arguing that members of parliament should retain the freedom to choose their communication tools.

Still, officials are considering restrictions on the desktop version of the app on parliamentary computers, citing potential security vulnerabilities.

Germany has faced an increasing number of cyberattacks, espionage attempts and suspected sabotage operations since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Berlin has been one of Kyiv’s strongest supporters, providing substantial military and financial assistance.

Russia has repeatedly denied involvement in cyberattacks and other hostile actions across Europe. However, Western intelligence agencies have consistently linked Moscow to a range of digital and covert operations aimed at destabilizing governments and undermining support for Ukraine.

The latest incident is likely to intensify calls for stronger cybersecurity measures across Europe’s political institutions.

News

Trump Delays Planned Iran Strike as Gulf Leaders Push for Diplomacy

Published

on

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had postponed a planned military strike on Iran after appeals from Gulf leaders seeking more time for negotiations aimed at ending the conflict in the Middle East.

In a statement posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the United States would “hold off” on a military operation that had been scheduled for Tuesday. He said the request came from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, who argued that serious diplomatic efforts were underway and that a deal with Tehran remained possible.

Trump identified the Gulf leaders as Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

“Based on my respect for the leaders, I have instructed our military not to proceed at this time,” Trump wrote, adding that negotiations could still produce an agreement preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

At the same time, the US president warned that Washington remained prepared for military action if diplomacy failed. Trump said he had directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine and US military commanders to remain ready for a “full, large-scale assault” on short notice if an acceptable agreement was not reached.

The announcement came after weeks of rising tensions between Washington and Tehran following US and Israeli strikes on Iran that began in late February. The conflict has shaken regional stability, disrupted shipping routes and driven global oil prices sharply higher.

Negotiations between the two sides have so far produced little progress. Talks held in Pakistan in April ended without an agreement after lengthy discussions over Iran’s nuclear program, sanctions relief and the future of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global energy route.

See also  Northvolt Files for Bankruptcy Amid Mounting Debt, Aims to Restructure Operations

Iranian media reported over the weekend that Tehran had submitted a revised proposal through Pakistani mediators. A Pakistani official familiar with the discussions said both sides were running out of time to narrow major differences.

Tehran has insisted on maintaining authority over the Strait of Hormuz, through which nearly one-fifth of the world’s oil supply passes. Iran has largely restricted traffic through the waterway since the outbreak of the war, raising fears of supply disruptions across global energy markets.

On Monday, Iran’s newly established Persian Gulf Strait Authority said it would provide real-time operational updates regarding shipping activity in the strait.

Trump has repeatedly warned Iran in recent days, saying the “clock is ticking” and urging Tehran to move quickly toward a deal. Despite the latest pause in military action, US officials indicated that preparations remain in place should negotiations collapse.

Continue Reading

News

Labour Leadership Battle Intensifies as Brexit Returns to Centre of UK Politics

Published

on

Britain’s political landscape was thrown into fresh uncertainty this weekend as divisions within the ruling Labour Party deepened following heavy electoral losses in Scotland, Wales and local council contests across England.

The setbacks have triggered an open struggle over the future leadership of the party and the direction of Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government, with senior Labour figures now positioning themselves ahead of a possible leadership contest.

Former health secretary Wes Streeting has stepped down from his role and is reportedly preparing to challenge Starmer’s leadership, according to Labour sources. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham is also expected to enter the race if he secures a return to Parliament through an upcoming by-election in a traditionally pro-Brexit constituency.

Brexit, nearly a decade after Britain voted to leave the European Union, has unexpectedly returned to the centre of national political debate.

Streeting described Brexit on Saturday as a “catastrophic mistake” that had made Britain “less wealthy, less powerful and less in control.” He called for a closer partnership with the European Union and said Britain’s long-term future could eventually lie inside the bloc once again.

Burnham struck a more cautious tone, saying there was a “case” for rejoining the EU in the future, though he stressed he would not campaign on the issue during the by-election amid growing support for Nigel Farage’s Reform UK party in northern England.

The remarks mark a significant shift within Labour, which under Starmer has carefully avoided reopening the Brexit debate in an effort to retain voters in former industrial regions that backed leaving the EU.

See also  Nearly Half a Million Poles Abroad Participate in Presidential Election

Political analysts say the renewed discussion over Europe may appeal to Labour members and pro-EU voters who have increasingly drifted toward the Green Party, even as it risks alienating parts of the party’s traditional working-class base.

The growing divisions come at a tense political moment across Britain. Large demonstrations in London over the weekend highlighted the country’s deepening polarization, with anti-racism and pro-Palestinian protesters gathering alongside supporters of far-right activist Tommy Robinson.

Meanwhile, uncertainty in London is also raising concerns in Brussels ahead of a planned UK-EU summit expected to focus on improving trade ties and resetting relations strained by Brexit.

European officials had hoped the meeting would produce progress on agricultural exports and wider economic cooperation, but Labour’s internal turmoil has cast doubt over the government’s ability to negotiate major agreements.

Elsewhere in Europe, Spain’s conservative Popular Party lost its majority in regional elections in Andalucía and may now require support from the far-right Vox party to govern. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez’s Socialists also suffered significant losses in a vote viewed as an important test ahead of next year’s national elections.

The developments across Britain and Europe come as governments continue facing mounting political fragmentation, economic uncertainty and growing pressure from both nationalist and populist movements.

Continue Reading

News

Google Introduces News Source Preference Feature for Search Users

Published

on

Google has introduced a new search feature allowing users to prioritise their preferred news publishers in search results, giving readers more control over how they consume current affairs and breaking news online.

The update enables users to select a preferred media outlet so that its articles and headlines appear more prominently when searching for trending topics. The change applies to news-related searches covering global events, politics, business, sports and entertainment.

The feature is designed to personalise the search experience while still displaying reporting from multiple media organisations. Users searching for topics such as international conflicts, economic developments or major sporting events will now be able to choose which publisher they want highlighted first in results.

Among the publishers promoting the feature is Euronews, which said users can now set the outlet as their preferred news source through their Google account settings.

The process requires users to sign into their Google account, search for their chosen publisher and enable the preference setting. Once selected, the chosen outlet’s reporting will receive greater visibility in relevant searches. Users can also modify or remove the preference at any time.

The update marks one of the first major personalisation tools introduced specifically for Google News-related search queries. While search results have long been influenced by algorithms, user activity and relevance rankings, the latest addition gives individuals direct input into which publishers they see first.

Google has not indicated whether the feature will affect advertising or recommendation systems tied to its broader news ecosystem. The company also said other news organisations would continue to appear in results alongside preferred sources.

See also  First Four Victims of Crans-Montana Bar Fire Identified; Investigation and International Aid Underway

The move comes as technology companies face growing scrutiny over how news is distributed online and how algorithms shape access to information. Media groups across Europe and elsewhere have increasingly sought closer partnerships with digital platforms as competition for online audiences intensifies.

The feature may also help publishers strengthen direct engagement with readers at a time when search traffic remains a major source of online readership. News organisations have faced mounting pressure from changing consumer habits, social media competition and the rapid rise of artificial intelligence tools affecting online publishing and discovery.

Google’s latest update is expected to roll out globally through user account settings and search preferences over the coming weeks.

Continue Reading

Trending