Connect with us

News

Europe Faces Security Crisis After Trump-Zelenskyy Clash, London Summit Set to Address Fallout

Published

on

European leaders are grappling with a deepening security crisis following a tense confrontation between Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and U.S. President Donald Trump in the Oval Office. The dispute, which centered on Ukraine’s security guarantees, has left Europe in an uncertain position as it braces for a high-stakes summit in London on Thursday.

Tensions Over Security Guarantees

At the heart of the White House clash was Zelenskyy’s insistence on firm security guarantees as part of any future peace deal with Russia. Trump, however, downplayed the need for such assurances, arguing that U.S. commercial involvement in Ukraine would serve as a security guarantee in itself.

Zelenskyy rejected this position, warning Trump that appeasing Russian President Vladimir Putin could have long-term consequences. “You have a nice ocean and don’t feel [it] now, but you will feel it in the future,” Zelenskyy reportedly told Trump.

Trump’s response was swift and sharp: “Don’t tell us what we’re going to feel. You’re in no position to dictate that,” he snapped, adding, “You don’t have the cards right now. You’re gambling with millions of lives.”

Europe’s Growing Fears

This heated exchange has rattled European allies, who, unlike the U.S., do not have an ocean shielding them from potential Russian aggression. European leaders have long pushed for Ukraine’s NATO membership, hoping it would bring the country under the alliance’s security umbrella, backed by U.S. military power.

However, NATO’s cohesion is now under serious strain. The crisis escalated last week when the U.S. sided with Russia and North Korea on a United Nations Security Council resolution concerning Ukraine, a move that alarmed European capitals.

See also  Trump, Vance Evacuated After Gunfire Near White House Correspondents’ Dinner

In response, top European leaders from France, the UK, Poland, Germany, Spain, Lithuania, and others took to social media to reaffirm their support for Ukraine. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas made a bold statement, declaring: “Today, it became clear that the free world needs a new leader. It is up to us, Europeans, to take this challenge.”

Europe’s Struggle to Replace U.S. Support

While public statements signal unwavering support, the reality is far more complex. Europe remains heavily dependent on the U.S. for security and military support, and replacing that role would be an immense challenge.

EU leaders meeting in London are expected to discuss ways to boost defense spending, but funding shortfalls remain a major obstacle. Many analysts compare Europe’s reliance on the U.S. to that of a 40-year-old child still living at home, now forced to confront the reality that “Dad” is no longer interested in footing the bill.

One possible solution on the table is seizing frozen Russian assets—a move that French MEP Raphaël Glucksmann is urging the EU to pursue. Over €200 billion in Russian funds are currently held in European accounts, but concerns remain over the legal and economic implications of confiscating them.

High Stakes at the London Summit

A senior EU source told Euronews that opposition to the asset seizure is “dissolving”, particularly in Belgium and Germany. Under new German leadership, there is speculation that Berlin may shift its stance, potentially unlocking a key source of funding for Ukraine.

However, an EPP (European People’s Party) source warned that while asset seizures are being debated, the process could take a very long time, delaying much-needed financial aid.

See also  Germany's Opposition Leader Friedrich Merz Criticized for Accepting AfD Support

For Europe, the stakes couldn’t be higher. As the EU source bluntly put it: “If we have World War Three, then Europe will be an even more unsafe place for savings.”

With Ukraine’s security on the line, European leaders in London must find a way to either pull the U.S. back into the fold or step up as Ukraine’s primary defense guarantor—a task that will require not just rhetoric, but decisive action.

News

EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister

Published

on

France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.

Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.

“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”

His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.

Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”

Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”

See also  EU Finance Ministers Push for Digital Euro Framework Amid Disagreements

Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.

The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.

China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.

France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.

Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”

Continue Reading

News

US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions

Published

on

US President Donald Trump has said ongoing negotiations over the conflict involving Iran are teetering on the “borderline” between reaching a diplomatic agreement and a return to renewed military strikes, as tensions continue to rise across the region.

The remarks came as Pakistan’s army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir arrived in Tehran for fresh talks aimed at de-escalating the US-Israeli conflict with Iran. His visit follows a series of high-level diplomatic engagements involving Pakistani officials and Iranian leadership in recent days.

Munir was received in Tehran by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni, alongside Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who has also travelled to the Iranian capital multiple times this week for meetings with senior officials.

Despite the renewed diplomatic activity, Iran has downplayed expectations of a breakthrough. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said the visit did not signal any decisive shift in negotiations, describing the differences between the parties as “deep and extensive,” according to Iran’s ISNA news agency.

Speaking at a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Sweden, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been limited progress in the discussions but cautioned against optimism.

“There’s a little bit of movement and that’s good,” Rubio said, adding that he did not want to exaggerate developments. He also warned that Washington retains “other options” if diplomacy fails, echoing Trump’s earlier comments that military action remains on the table if Iran does not agree to terms.

Trump has previously stated that he paused consideration of a strike due to what he described as “serious negotiations” taking place, but has repeatedly warned that the fragile ceasefire reached in mid-April could collapse.

See also  Climate Concerns Rise Over Sponsorships at 2026 Winter Olympics

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to talks despite what he called repeated breaches of diplomacy by Washington. He said Iran was participating “with a responsible approach and with all seriousness” in an effort to secure what he described as a fair outcome, according to Iranian state media.

A key point of contention remains the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic maritime route through which a significant share of global oil and gas supplies pass. Iranian actions in the waterway and US responses have heightened fears of wider economic disruption.

Iran has effectively restricted access through the strait, while US Central Command has reportedly blocked Iranian ports and redirected commercial vessels since mid-April. The European Union has since expanded its sanctions framework targeting those involved, calling the blockade contrary to international law.

Rubio said allied nations were also discussing contingency plans in case negotiations fail, warning that the situation may require a “plan B” if diplomatic efforts collapse.

Continue Reading

News

US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad

Published

on

A sweeping policy change in the United States has upended a long-standing immigration process, requiring most foreign nationals seeking green cards to leave the country and complete their applications from abroad.

Under the new directive issued Friday by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), individuals in the United States on temporary visas — including work, student and tourist permits — will generally no longer be able to adjust their status to permanent residency while remaining in the country. Instead, they must return to their home countries and apply through US consulates, except in limited “extraordinary circumstances.”

USCIS spokesperson Zach Kahler said the policy was intended to realign the immigration system with its original framework.

“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” Kahler said. He added that the change would reduce incentives for people to remain in the US after visa denials.

The decision marks a significant departure from decades of practice, under which many migrants have been allowed to apply for permanent residency from within the United States. That pathway has been commonly used by spouses of US citizens, workers, students, and individuals with family ties in the country.

The process of obtaining a green card often takes months or even years, raising concerns that applicants may now be forced to leave jobs, homes and families while waiting for approval abroad.

Immigration attorneys and advocacy groups said they were still assessing the scope of the policy and how it would be enforced. Many also warned that practical barriers could make compliance difficult, particularly for applicants from countries where travel is restricted or where US consular services are limited or unavailable.

See also  Germany Struggles to Retain EU Migrants Despite Labour Shortages

Shev Dalal-Dheini of the American Immigration Lawyers Association said the move appeared to disrupt established procedures. “USCIS is trying to upend decades of processing of adjustment of status,” she said, noting widespread uncertainty over who would be affected.

Jessie De Haven of the California Immigration Project said the policy could discourage eligible applicants from proceeding altogether. “It’s really hard to tell how this is going to be applied,” she said. “I do think it might have a chilling effect on people applying.”

The announcement forms part of a broader immigration crackdown under the Trump administration, which has sought to tighten legal pathways while increasing enforcement measures against irregular migration.

Officials have framed the change as an effort to close loopholes and strengthen oversight of the immigration system. Critics, however, argue it could lead to prolonged separations for families and create new obstacles for lawful immigrants seeking permanent residency in the United States.

Continue Reading

Trending