News
Gunmen Exchange Fire Outside Brussels Metro Station, Police Launch Manhunt
Belgian police are searching for armed suspects after a shooting erupted outside Clémenceau metro station in Brussels early Wednesday morning. The incident, which occurred around 6 a.m. CET, caused major disruptions to metro and tram services, affecting thousands of commuters during rush hour.
Gunmen on the Run
Footage aired on local media showed at least two masked men wearing balaclavas exchanging gunfire outside the metro station. Authorities have since launched a city-wide manhunt for the armed individuals, believed to be hiding in the underground network between Clémenceau and Midi stations.
Sarah Frederickx, a spokesperson for the Brussels police, told reporters that law enforcement was searching for a small group of possibly two or three suspects, who are likely still armed.
“We are actively searching the metro tunnels, and the federal railway police are involved in the operation,” Frederickx said.
Not Considered a Terrorist Attack
While the shooting caused widespread alarm, authorities have ruled out terrorism as a motive. The city’s public transport operator stated that the incident was not linked to a terror attack.
However, local media reports suggested that the shooting may be connected to drug trafficking, with some outlets alleging that the suspects were carrying Kalashnikov rifles.
Metro and Tram Services Disrupted
The police operation led to the closure of Clémenceau and Delacroix stations, as well as Brussels’ central Gare du Midi, a major hub that serves Eurostar trains to and from London, Paris, and Amsterdam.
Metro lines 2 and 6 were suspended between Trône and Gare de l’Ouest, affecting travel near the European Parliament.
Several tram services were also impacted, particularly:
- Lines between Lemonnier and Berkendael
- Lines between Port d’Anderlecht and Gare du Midi
Commuters faced significant delays as authorities continued their search.
Investigation Ongoing
A spokesperson for the Brussels public prosecutor’s office confirmed that no injuries had been reported and that the investigation was ongoing.
Authorities have urged residents and commuters to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity as they continue their search for the suspects.
News
EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.
Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.
“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”
His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.
Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”
Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”
Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.
The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.
China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.
France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.
Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”
News
US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions
News
US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad
-
Entertainment2 years agoMeta Acquires Tilda Swinton VR Doc ‘Impulse: Playing With Reality’
-
Sports2 years agoChina’s Historic Olympic Victory Sparks National Pride Amid Controversy
-
Business2 years agoSaudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business2 years agoRecent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Home Improvement1 year agoEffective Drain Cleaning: A Key to a Healthy Plumbing System
-
Politics2 years agoWho was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Sports2 years agoKeely Hodgkinson Wins Britain’s First Athletics Gold at Paris Olympics in 800m
-
Business2 years agoCarrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
