News
Ukrainian Drone Strike Targets Russian Oil Facility, Killing Firefighters
In a significant escalation of long-range strikes, Ukrainian drones targeted an oil facility deep inside Russian territory early Wednesday, hitting an oil depot in the city of Engels, approximately 400 miles from the Ukrainian border. The strike, which ignited a massive fire, has disrupted Russia’s military logistics and raised the stakes in the ongoing conflict between the two nations.
The Ukrainian military confirmed that the target was the Kombinat Kristall oil depot, which supplies fuel to the Engels-2 military airfield in the Saratov region. This airfield is home to Russia’s strategic bomber fleet. According to local authorities, at least two Russian firefighters were killed while responding to the fire, with another firefighter hospitalized.
Images geolocated by CNN showed large flames lighting up the night sky and thick plumes of smoke billowing from the depot on Wednesday morning. The Ukrainian military described the destruction of the oil depot as a significant blow to Russian logistics, stating that it would severely hamper Russia’s ability to conduct airstrikes on Ukrainian cities and civilian infrastructure.
The strike marks a new chapter in Ukraine’s aerial warfare strategy, which has seen increasing success over the past year as Kyiv seeks to disrupt Russian supply chains, destroy weapons stockpiles, and cripple key infrastructure. Long-range drone attacks have become a hallmark of Ukraine’s tactics, particularly as ground warfare in the region has become more attritional.
This is not the first time Ukraine has targeted Saratov, located more than 600 kilometers from the border, although previous attempts were largely thwarted by Russia’s air defenses. The Russian Ministry of Defense reported that its air defenses intercepted 23 Ukrainian drones during the overnight strike, including 11 over Saratov and four over the Kursk region. However, Ukraine’s military confirmed multiple explosions in Saratov, suggesting that some drones breached air defenses.
Oleksandr Kamyshin, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, stated that the drones used in the attack were domestically produced in Ukraine. Ukrainian forces have conducted hundreds of similar drone strikes since the war began in February 2022, with some targeting key Russian military sites.
As tensions escalate, both Ukraine and Russia continue to make gains on the battlefield. On Wednesday, Zelensky reported that a Russian strike on the Zaporizhzhia region in southeastern Ukraine killed at least 13 people and injured dozens more. Meanwhile, Ukraine launched a fresh offensive in Russia’s Kursk region, where it has maintained a foothold since last year’s incursion.
The overnight drone strikes are part of broader efforts by Ukraine to shift the frontlines amid ongoing speculation about potential shifts in international support, particularly with the anticipated return of former US President Donald Trump. Trump has previously suggested that he could end the war in a day, although without offering a clear strategy.
As both sides prepare for continued conflict, Ukraine’s military is focused on undermining Russia’s logistical capabilities, while Russia responds with its own aerial bombardments and ground offensives in the east.
News
EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.
Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.
“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”
His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.
Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”
Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”
Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.
The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.
China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.
France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.
Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”
News
US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions
News
US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad
-
Entertainment2 years agoMeta Acquires Tilda Swinton VR Doc ‘Impulse: Playing With Reality’
-
Sports2 years agoChina’s Historic Olympic Victory Sparks National Pride Amid Controversy
-
Business2 years agoSaudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business2 years agoRecent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Home Improvement1 year agoEffective Drain Cleaning: A Key to a Healthy Plumbing System
-
Politics2 years agoWho was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Sports2 years agoKeely Hodgkinson Wins Britain’s First Athletics Gold at Paris Olympics in 800m
-
Business2 years agoCarrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
