News
M23 Rebels Enter Bukavu as Conflict in Eastern DR Congo Intensifies
M23 rebels, backed by Rwanda, entered Bukavu, the second-largest city in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), on Sunday morning, taking control of the South Kivu provincial administrative office after facing little resistance from government forces.
Associated Press journalists witnessed scores of residents cheering as M23 fighters walked and drove through the city center. However, large parts of Bukavu remained deserted, with many residents staying indoors.
Rebels Advance Southward
The rebels arrived in Bukavu from Goma, a major regional city 10 kilometers away, which they seized last month. Their advance marks an unprecedented expansion of their influence in eastern DR Congo, where over 100 armed groups are competing for control of the country’s mineral-rich territories.
M23 is believed to have the support of 4,000 Rwandan troops, according to United Nations reports. Unlike their 2012 offensive, which was limited to Goma, analysts say the rebels now have political ambitions, posing a significant challenge to the Congolese government.
Government Response and Regional Tensions
As M23 fighters moved into Bukavu, many Congolese soldiers and civilians fled the city, leading to reports of widespread looting. The ongoing rebellion has resulted in nearly 3,000 deaths and displaced hundreds of thousands in eastern DR Congo. At least 350,000 internally displaced people remain without shelter, according to the UN and Congolese authorities.
Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi convened a security meeting in Kinshasa, where officials acknowledged that M23 had “briefly” invaded Bukavu but insisted that the Congolese army and local militias remained in control. However, there were no visible signs of fighting or the Congolese military presence in Bukavu on Sunday.
Tshisekedi has warned of the risk of regional escalation, with Burundi and South Africa deploying troops to support Congolese forces. However, Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye indicated in a statement that his country would not retaliate against Rwanda’s involvement.
Meanwhile, M23’s political wing, the Congo River Alliance, claimed it was committed to “defending the people of Bukavu” but did not acknowledge the rebels’ presence in the city.
International Concerns and Regional Escalation
The conflict was a major topic at the African Union Summit in Ethiopia, where UN Secretary-General António Guterres warned that the situation could spiral into a regional war.
“Regional escalation must be avoided at all costs,” Guterres said. “The sovereignty and territorial integrity of DR Congo must be respected.”
French President Emmanuel Macron called for an immediate ceasefire, an M23 withdrawal, and the return of Congolese authorities to Bukavu. However, international action against M23 or Rwanda has remained limited.
Elsewhere in eastern DR Congo, fighting continues. Ugandan troops are battling Islamist militants in Ituri, while Uganda’s top military commander, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, warned that his forces would attack armed groups in Ituri’s capital if they did not surrender within 24 hours.
With M23 expanding its control southward, the situation in eastern DR Congo remains volatile, raising fears of a wider regional conflict.
News
EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.
Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.
“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”
His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.
Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”
Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”
Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.
The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.
China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.
France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.
Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”
News
US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions
News
US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad
-
Entertainment2 years agoMeta Acquires Tilda Swinton VR Doc ‘Impulse: Playing With Reality’
-
Sports2 years agoChina’s Historic Olympic Victory Sparks National Pride Amid Controversy
-
Business2 years agoSaudi Arabia’s Model for Sustainable Aviation Practices
-
Business2 years agoRecent Developments in Small Business Taxes
-
Home Improvement1 year agoEffective Drain Cleaning: A Key to a Healthy Plumbing System
-
Politics2 years agoWho was Ebrahim Raisi and his status in Iranian Politics?
-
Sports2 years agoKeely Hodgkinson Wins Britain’s First Athletics Gold at Paris Olympics in 800m
-
Business2 years agoCarrectly: Revolutionizing Car Care in Chicago
