Connect with us

News

Israel-Hamas Truce on the Brink as Humanitarian Aid Halted

Published

on

A fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas is at risk of collapse after Israel blocked humanitarian aid into Gaza, following Hamas’ rejection of an Israeli proposal to extend the truce without committing to a full withdrawal of troops or a permanent end to the war.

Hamas has accused Israel of violating the agreement, calling the aid blockade “cheap blackmail” and a “war crime.” Meanwhile, international aid groups and the United Nations have condemned Israel’s decision, while Egypt, a key mediator, declared that it “unequivocally rejects the politicization of humanitarian aid.”

Hostage Negotiations Stall

According to Israeli authorities, 59 hostages remain in Gaza following the return of four bodies last week. Of these, 24 are believed to be alive. The delay in negotiating their release has added further tension to the truce discussions.

The United States has sent Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff to the region in an effort to either extend Phase I of the agreement or move to Phase II, which was meant to see the release of all living hostages and a total Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

Breakdown of the Ceasefire Agreement

The ceasefire, initially implemented in three phases, has faced multiple setbacks.

  • Phase I (January 19 – March 2): Hamas was expected to release 33 Israeli hostages in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners and increased humanitarian aid. Ultimately, 38 hostages were freed over 39 days, while Israel released 1,737 Palestinian prisoners. Israeli forces also withdrew to Gaza’s border regions, leaving urban centers and key corridors.
  • Phase II (Scheduled for March 3): This phase was supposed to focus on negotiations for a permanent ceasefire, Israeli troop withdrawal, and the release of remaining hostages. However, talks have stalled, with both sides blaming each other.

On Friday, an Israeli delegation abruptly left Cairo, while a Hamas spokesperson claimed that no active negotiations were underway due to Israeli delays.

See also  EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister

Israel’s Position

The Israeli government has proposed a 42-day extension of Phase I, allowing for the continued exchange of hostages and prisoners while keeping aid flowing into Gaza—but without committing to ending the war. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that the idea came from US envoy Witkoff, though Washington has yet to confirm this claim.

Israel says Hamas rejected the proposal, prompting Netanyahu to order a halt on all aid deliveries to Gaza.

Israeli PMO statement:
“In light of Hamas’ refusal to accept the Witkoff framework, Prime Minister Netanyahu has decided that as of this morning, all entry of goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip will be stopped.”

The statement also warned of further consequences if Hamas refuses to accept Israel’s terms.

Hamas’ Response

Hamas is insisting on proceeding with Phase II, which includes a full Israeli withdrawal and a permanent ceasefire. The group denounced Israel’s proposed extension of Phase I as an attempt to evade its commitments.

Hamas statement:
“This is a blatant attempt to avoid entering Phase II. The only way to secure the return of hostages is for Israel to uphold its commitments and begin negotiations immediately.”

Hamas has appealed to mediators such as Egypt and Qatar to put pressure on Israel to resume aid deliveries and adhere to the full terms of the agreement.

International Reactions

The United Nations, Egypt, and aid organizations have strongly criticized Israel’s move to block humanitarian aid.

  • Egypt called on the international community to take action, saying Israel is using aid as a tool for political blackmail.
  • Qatar stated that “food must not be used as a weapon” and condemned the suspension of aid.
  • UN Humanitarian Chief Tom Fletcher warned that stopping aid deliveries violates international humanitarian law, urging that the ceasefire be maintained.
See also  France to Enforce Smoking Ban in Child-Friendly Outdoor Spaces from July 1

Meanwhile, White House officials have publicly backed Israel, with National Security Council spokesperson Brian Hughes saying that Israel has negotiated in good faith and blaming Hamas for derailing the process.

What’s Next?

With humanitarian aid suspended and hostage negotiations stalled, fears are growing that the ceasefire could collapse entirely. Far-right ministers in Netanyahu’s government are pressuring for a return to full-scale war, and analysts suggest that the new Trump administration may be less inclined to push for a peaceful resolution.

In a press release, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum called on President Trump to negotiate a comprehensive deal to bring all captives home in a single phase, stating that time is running out for those still held in Gaza.

Additionally, an Israeli source told CNN that Israel will not withdraw its forces from the Gaza-Egypt border, a condition that Hamas views as essential for Phase II to proceed.

As tensions escalate, Gaza’s population of over 2 million faces the risk of losing what little aid it had received. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warned that even during the truce, aid restrictions have severely limited humanitarian relief efforts, with food and medical supplies still in short supply.

Over the weekend, Israeli airstrikes targeted northern and southern Gaza, with Palestinian health officials reporting at least four casualties. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) stated that they fired at individuals attempting to plant explosives, further raising concerns about whether the ceasefire will hold.

For now, the truce remains fragile, with diplomatic efforts ongoing—but without significant progress, the region could see a return to full-scale conflict in the coming days.

News

EU Must End ‘Naivety’ on Trade and Confront China’s Industrial Strategy, Says French Minister

Published

on

France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, has called on the European Union to abandon what he described as “naivety” in its approach to global trade, urging a tougher stance on countries accused of distorting markets through industrial policy and trade practices.

Speaking in an interview with Euronews’ 12 Minutes With programme, Forissier said Europe must respond more firmly to what he described as the weaponisation of trade dependencies, warning that China in particular could damage its own long-term interests by undermining European industry.

“The Chinese have to understand that they won’t win anything if they destroy the European industry and then the European market, which is an essential market for them,” he said. “We must no longer be naive.”

His comments come as the European Commission prepares to hold an “orientation debate” next week on how to respond to a surge of low-cost Chinese imports. The discussion is expected to shape possible new trade defence measures, with further talks likely when EU leaders meet in Brussels in mid-June.

Forissier said the shift in thinking was not limited to China alone but applied to any country using commercial leverage to gain strategic advantage. “It is not only China,” he said. “It is all the countries that weaponise trade.”

Among the proposals under consideration is a requirement for EU companies to diversify supply chains, sourcing components from at least three different suppliers in order to reduce dependency on any single foreign market. Asked whether he supported such a measure, Forissier replied: “Yes, we have to.”

See also  Trump Orders Justice Department Probe Into Epstein Ties With Clinton, Other Democrats

Other options include targeted tariffs on sensitive industries such as chemicals, alongside stronger use of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy tools to counter imports priced below domestic market levels. These measures are designed to address concerns over overcapacity in China’s industrial sector and its impact on European manufacturers.

The debate is taking place against a backdrop of widening trade imbalances. EU goods imports from China exceeded exports by €359.3 billion in 2025, marking an increase of nearly 20% compared with the previous year.

China has already warned it could retaliate if the bloc imposes new restrictions, raising concerns about potential escalation in trade tensions between two of the world’s largest economies.

France has repeatedly pushed for a more assertive European trade policy, arguing that state subsidies, export controls on raw materials and industrial overproduction in major economies are distorting global markets.

Forissier stressed that Europe must maintain open dialogue with Beijing while defending its own industrial base. “We try to respect the Chinese,” he said. “The Chinese have to respect us, and this is the message European institutions have to send.”

Continue Reading

News

US Says Iran Talks ‘Borderline’ as Pakistan Pushes Diplomacy Amid War Tensions

Published

on

US President Donald Trump has said ongoing negotiations over the conflict involving Iran are teetering on the “borderline” between reaching a diplomatic agreement and a return to renewed military strikes, as tensions continue to rise across the region.

The remarks came as Pakistan’s army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir arrived in Tehran for fresh talks aimed at de-escalating the US-Israeli conflict with Iran. His visit follows a series of high-level diplomatic engagements involving Pakistani officials and Iranian leadership in recent days.

Munir was received in Tehran by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni, alongside Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who has also travelled to the Iranian capital multiple times this week for meetings with senior officials.

Despite the renewed diplomatic activity, Iran has downplayed expectations of a breakthrough. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said the visit did not signal any decisive shift in negotiations, describing the differences between the parties as “deep and extensive,” according to Iran’s ISNA news agency.

Speaking at a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Sweden, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been limited progress in the discussions but cautioned against optimism.

“There’s a little bit of movement and that’s good,” Rubio said, adding that he did not want to exaggerate developments. He also warned that Washington retains “other options” if diplomacy fails, echoing Trump’s earlier comments that military action remains on the table if Iran does not agree to terms.

Trump has previously stated that he paused consideration of a strike due to what he described as “serious negotiations” taking place, but has repeatedly warned that the fragile ceasefire reached in mid-April could collapse.

See also  First Four Victims of Crans-Montana Bar Fire Identified; Investigation and International Aid Underway

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to talks despite what he called repeated breaches of diplomacy by Washington. He said Iran was participating “with a responsible approach and with all seriousness” in an effort to secure what he described as a fair outcome, according to Iranian state media.

A key point of contention remains the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic maritime route through which a significant share of global oil and gas supplies pass. Iranian actions in the waterway and US responses have heightened fears of wider economic disruption.

Iran has effectively restricted access through the strait, while US Central Command has reportedly blocked Iranian ports and redirected commercial vessels since mid-April. The European Union has since expanded its sanctions framework targeting those involved, calling the blockade contrary to international law.

Rubio said allied nations were also discussing contingency plans in case negotiations fail, warning that the situation may require a “plan B” if diplomatic efforts collapse.

Continue Reading

News

US Green Card Rule Change Forces Most Applicants to Apply From Abroad

Published

on

A sweeping policy change in the United States has upended a long-standing immigration process, requiring most foreign nationals seeking green cards to leave the country and complete their applications from abroad.

Under the new directive issued Friday by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), individuals in the United States on temporary visas — including work, student and tourist permits — will generally no longer be able to adjust their status to permanent residency while remaining in the country. Instead, they must return to their home countries and apply through US consulates, except in limited “extraordinary circumstances.”

USCIS spokesperson Zach Kahler said the policy was intended to realign the immigration system with its original framework.

“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” Kahler said. He added that the change would reduce incentives for people to remain in the US after visa denials.

The decision marks a significant departure from decades of practice, under which many migrants have been allowed to apply for permanent residency from within the United States. That pathway has been commonly used by spouses of US citizens, workers, students, and individuals with family ties in the country.

The process of obtaining a green card often takes months or even years, raising concerns that applicants may now be forced to leave jobs, homes and families while waiting for approval abroad.

Immigration attorneys and advocacy groups said they were still assessing the scope of the policy and how it would be enforced. Many also warned that practical barriers could make compliance difficult, particularly for applicants from countries where travel is restricted or where US consular services are limited or unavailable.

See also  Trump Administration Temporarily Halts Immigration Raids on Farms, Hotels, and Restaurants

Shev Dalal-Dheini of the American Immigration Lawyers Association said the move appeared to disrupt established procedures. “USCIS is trying to upend decades of processing of adjustment of status,” she said, noting widespread uncertainty over who would be affected.

Jessie De Haven of the California Immigration Project said the policy could discourage eligible applicants from proceeding altogether. “It’s really hard to tell how this is going to be applied,” she said. “I do think it might have a chilling effect on people applying.”

The announcement forms part of a broader immigration crackdown under the Trump administration, which has sought to tighten legal pathways while increasing enforcement measures against irregular migration.

Officials have framed the change as an effort to close loopholes and strengthen oversight of the immigration system. Critics, however, argue it could lead to prolonged separations for families and create new obstacles for lawful immigrants seeking permanent residency in the United States.

Continue Reading

Trending